Writing Effective Incident Reports
Module Length: 1 Credit Hour
Approved for CEUs by: Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, New Jersey, Florida
There are many considerations when preparing and writing an incident report. Were there injuries? Were there any property losses? Were there witnesses? Is there a likelihood that the report will be used in legal proceeding?
The answers to these questions will impact how the interviews are conducted, how the report is prepared and how any supporting materials are handled.
The goal is to present facts and details as accurately and succinctly as possible while maintaining the integrity and reliability of the report.
When you complete this course, you should be able to do the following:
- Differentiate between an incident and an accident report and meet their unique requirements.
- Apply the appropriate grammar to ensure complete clarity in your reports.
- Effectively interview witnesses and record statements.
- Write reports suitable for legal proceedings.
- Maintain supporting materials and documents that will withstand legal scrutiny.